Lemon Tarts with Blueberry Compote

by Darina on May 8, 2010

If there is one thing I’m proud of when it comes to my progress in the kitchen it’s my tart making skills. I’ve come a long way since my first foray into pastry making, when I could have burned the house down or lost an eye. If you missed this adventure, you can read about it here. In any case, in the last year I have made my fair share of tarts and pies, some a little more…er…rustic than others. But even at their most lopsided or shrunken, they’ve always tasted delicious. I’ve always maintained that it’s hard to make a bad tart, especially a bad lemon tart.

I now consider myself somewhat of a lemon tart connoisseur; it’s what I usually order for dessert on the occasion that I go out for dinner, and I always compare one restaurant’s offering to another. I like my lemon tarts tangy, and these certainly fit the bill. They’re called Pucker-Up Lemon Tarts and the recipe comes from Canadian Living, one of those general woman’s magazines that a lot of people buy for the recipes. The magazine is known for testing and retesting recipes until they’re considered perfect.

To jazz things up a bit, I added a blueberry compote I found on the Epicurious site. Blueberries are something I eat on a daily basis, throwing them into smoothies or tossing them into my cereal. I could live on fruit, so I would be hard pressed to say which berries are my favorite. But I do know that– for me–almost nothing beats the flavor of lemon. Lemon and blueberries are definitely a winning combination.

Lemon Tarts

1/3 cup (75 ml) all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons (10ml) icing sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch

1 pinch salt

3 tablespoons (45 ml) cold butter, cubed

Directions:

1) Line bottom of two 4-inch (10 cm) tart tins with parchment paper. Set aside.

2) For the pastry, whisk together flour, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Cut butter into the mixture with a pastry blender or two knives, until it resembles fine crumbs. Squeeze into two small clumps and press evenly into prepared pans. Refrigerate for about thirty minutes, until firm.

3) Prick shells with a fork. Bake in center of 350F (180c) oven until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool on rack.

4) In a bowl, whisk together egg, egg yolk, sugar, sour cream, lemon rind and juice; pour into shells. Bake until filling is no longer jiggly in center, about 25 minutes. Let cool on rack.

5) Using tip of paring knife, loosen edge of each tart by gently running tip between pastry and edge of pan. Remove from tins and discard paper.

Blueberry Compote

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

Combine 1  1/2 cups blueberries, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small heavy saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until berries burst, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add 1 more cup of berries. Cook until compote coats a spoon, stirring often, about another 8 minutes. Serve warm.

The compote can be used to garnish a variety of desserts such as cheesecake, or on french toast or pancakes. Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Tia @ ButtercreamBarbie May 9, 2010 at 12:05 am

Good old Canadian Living :)
I love it, and they have a new look now too!!!
your tart looks great, not ‘rustic’ in the least. lol.

sangeeta May 9, 2010 at 2:38 am

I love my lemon tart tangy too….and yes they are really easy to make .
Your blue berry compote takes it to another level…….yummy.

gastroanthropologist May 9, 2010 at 6:55 am

lemon tart with blueberries – a wonderful match. I prefer blueberries to the raspberries I often see with lemon deserts. I just got 4 cartons of really huge and delicious blueberries from Spain and think after I stop snacking on them fresh I’ll have just enough for blueberry compote. I’m making a lemon poppy seed cake later this afternoon and think a little blueberry sauce might be the perfect accompaniment…

admin May 9, 2010 at 7:45 pm

That sounds wonderful. Maybe I’ll give that a try myself.

Sean February 12, 2011 at 10:53 am

I also love tangy Lemon tart and being a chef myself I take great pride in getting things right.
So here is my take on Lemon tart…

The pastry can be made to whatever way you want i.e. flours, butter, caster sugar, eggs and salt or replace caster sugar with icing, add lemon zest and remove salt its really up to you. This is part of the reason I haven’t included the preparation process for the pastry, everyone is different and it’s easy enough to prepare a bog-standard sweet paste. In my opinion the difference between various citrus tart is in the filling rather than the pastry so any standard type will be fine – only when you have mastered the ability to make well flavoured and well textured tarts should you begin to tinker with different pastry types.

Ok, if you plan to make a 20cm-30cm sized tart then the following will be enough.

Filling:
1). Take 4 eggs + 1 yolk and place in a bowl
2). Whisk in 170-180g caster sugar (up to you)
3). Add zest of 4-5 lemons
4). Add 230-270ml of lemon juice (fresh)
5). Add 200-250ml double cream
6). Whisk gently and skim any froth/bubbles then chill for approx 15 mins.

Pastry:
1). Line tin with pastry and leave in fridge for 15 mins
2). Pre-heat oven to 180-200c and blind bake the pastry for 20-25 mins
3). Reduce oven temp to 120-150c, pour in filling and cook for approx 30-40 mins – until middle stop jiggling

For the perfect result:
Allow to cool at room temp for 1-2 hours. Then refridgerate for a further 1-2 hours – upon serving sprinkle a little icing sugar. Voila!

p.s. My taste preference is quite sharp so I go for zest of 4 lemons and 250ml lemon juice, but some may prefer it stronger or weaker, hence the flexibility in ingredient amount.

I hope you enjoy.

Erika August 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Beautiful pictures. The day I say I’m proud of my tart-making skills will be a proud day indeed…I will have to try these!

Darina August 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Thanks so much! I thought the same but if you have a food processor to make the dough in. it’s a breeze. I find them a lot easier than cakes. Donna Hay always has good tart recipes.